Monuments Men Film Premiere

20:29 Alyson 0 Comments

While everyone knows that Hollywood is the hot spot for film premieres, I've been suprirsed since moving to London at the number of films that also have openings here.

Paul managed to catch the premiere of Skyfall when we first moved to London, but since then, I have missed every single one. Since they often fall on weekdays, I seem to always be inconveniently out of town when the premieres happen, including the premiere for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

So, when a friend asked me to catch the Monuments Men premiere with her AND I was in town, I knew I had to try.

Now, let me preface this by saying that we didn't actually attend the movie itself. We settled with standing outside the theatre in Leicester Square with hopes that the stars would walk by us. We got there about 5:30, with the film scheduled to start somewhere around 7:00.  While the weather has been pleasant lately, there was a chill in the air in addition to the blustery weather. Even bundled up, it was cold, especially as I had my hands out of my pockets and gloves waiting to snatch some photos.

 
We were positioned on the blockades that were up by where the cars enter, just up from the red carpet so we could see (even if someone distantly) as people walked by. After 20 minutes of waiting, the first celebrity rolls up. It's a funny van, so we decide it won't be anyone important and go back to watching.

Then, all of a sudden, we hear screaming. It turns out, it was someone important. George Clooney! He makes the rounds to nearly all the fans, including walking all the way down to our barricades to sign autographs and say hi (including to us!). He was a laid back guy, and looked just like he does on the screen in real life, even from less than 3 feet away.

My sadly blurry George Clooney photo
Happy that we had at least one celebrity sighting, we went back to waiting. Slowly, but surely, the rest of the cast arrived. John Goodman, then Bill Murray, Jean DuJardin, Hugh Bonneville and then Matt Damon. Unfortunately, none of the rest made their way off the red carpet, so we didn't see much more than anyone watching on TV.

Finally, after I decided I couldn't feel my fingers anymore, we called it a night and fought the crowds to grab a bite to eat.

I must say, it's quite the spectacle and if you find yourself in London - stop by and see if you can join in. I think the crowds probably start lining up very early for the red carpet positions, but even a bit further out, you never know which friendly star may decide to make their fans day!

You Might Also Like

0 comments: