The Great State of Texas

04:12 Alyson 0 Comments

It's hard to explain Texas to my British friends. How to tell them about our pride in our state, from the size to our history to our weird traditions like mums, high school football and the State Fair?

When I was back in Dallas last week, I decided to try to show them. We made a trip to the state fair, mostly for the fried food but also for a little insight into the great state of Texas. 

We left work early on Wednesday to beat the crowds. I had actually not been to the fair in my adult life other than for the TX-OU game, so we set about to wandering. We strolled down aisles of games, filled with children hoping to win the grand prize, and parents accompanying them, many times bored by the whole thing, but just sometimes the competitive streak coming out, even against their kids. 


We found the livestock, at first things like puppies and guinea pigs, then more exotic things like pig or ostrich races (we missed both). 

Finally, we stumbled upon the food. I indulged in a Fletcher's corn dog and a fried snickers. My co-workers had fried pumpkin pie, funnel cake and fried pizza between the two if them. The snickers was by far the best. 




On our way out we made a point to say hi to the new Big Tex, looming over the park, welcoming all who enter.


It was refreshing to be in Texas, not only because of the weather or sun, but because of the people. Texans have to be some of the most genuinely friendly people on this planet. I've forgotten what it's like to have a random conversation with a stranger just because you can. Or to walk past someone on the street and actually smile! Or even to just have your door held open by someone who is trying to give a helping hand. 

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down the English. Some days, I want nothing more than to be left alone on the tube to read my book. But, sometimes, it's nice to be reminded that there are still nice people out there. All in all, perhaps we need a few more Texans around the world.


You Might Also Like

0 comments: