Jet Setting

10:16 Alyson 0 Comments

I have been slacking in the blogging over the last few weeks – my apologies.

BUT, the reasons being that I was:
a) Visiting the States getting in my fill of family, friends, American food (think Sonic happy hour, Honey Butter Chicken Biscuits and bacon daily) and margaritas. Yes, margaritas make the list
b) Busy being a tour guide to my old college roommate Katie! She spent her last spring break ever with me traipising around Istanbul
c) Working from my company's London office for a week, catching up with my colleagues, doing a little bit of sight seeing and TONS of reading the Hunger Games which they got me addicted to.

I have really enjoyed the last three weeks, but alas, back to reality – and blogging.

Over the last few weeks, I have spent a lot of time on planes which has been unusual for me as of late. I used to travel a lot when I lived in Dallas. I wouldn’t necessarily have called myself a “road warrior,” but I often was travelling at least 3 times a month to all kinds of places – California, Canada, Philly or glamorous South Texas.

Even after all that time on the road, I still have to say that flying in Turkey is different than anywhere else I have travelled before.  The planes are mostly the same, you have little legroom, loud passengers, entertainment system (which I will say is nicer than a lot of planes) and even bagged nuts; the experience though?
  1. Ataturk Airport. Never until flying through this airport have I had to go through security twice. Once when you first enter the airport before you even can get your boarding pass, and another time before you go to the gate.  Not necessarily complaining and I can see more airports doing this in the future, but just more times of being stuck behind those slow pokes in line who can’t figure out how to remove their liquids (have I mentioned that I am not a patient traveller?) 
  2. Boarding. I do not think that any type of boarding is efficient, and yes, that includes Southwest, but this is especially inefficient. As soon as they announce that they are ready to start boarding, the whole waiting lounge goes up to the gate to board.  Who cares about boarding groups? Elderly and children? Pshaw.  Everyone for themselves to get on board and claim the overhead space. 
  3. Arrival. Once we make a safe landing, you hear people clapping. Not the whole plane, and not always loudly, but people are definitely clapping. I think this perhaps intrigues me the most. Is it a way to say thanks? Are they saying job well done? If that is the case, it scares me a bit. I would like to hope that we should always land safely and while it deserves thanks to the pilots for their service, not necessarily a congrats of a job well done.
 Despite some of the hassles of international travel, I wouldn’t change it in for the world. As Paul said this week, a year ago, who would have thought we would nonchalantly be discussing heading to Italy for the weekend for a quick getaway, or could take a 3 hour flight to almost anywhere in Europe? What a wonderful life.
 My London stay - the heart of Picadilly. I love Turkey, but London has my heart too.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: